Thursday, March 1, 2012

Halfway Learning Blog

When the group that I was in got together, I thought we had really good brainstorming ideas. We bounced ideas off of each other. I remember us talking about picking a genre for us to work on. In the beginning, we talked about two specific genres:  maps, and diary entries. We explored the map idea briefly, saying how we could take an ISU campus map and then brainstorming the things that we could change about it. We said it would be interesting to see a map without any colors, odd symbols instead of keys, and a few other minor changes. Then, we thought about the diary entry and what we could change about that. At first, we immediately decided to change the location. I believe Sara G suggested that we tape them on the floors of our dorms and it was brought up that maybe we could even write them on the white boards on the doors of residences. After talking to Nicole about the idea, she suggested that the diary entry was a little played out with the media and whatnot. After we reconvened as a group, we discussed how that had actually never occurred to us and that we should still change the location but also some of the content as well. It was suggested that instead of talking about the timely things that a diary would contain, we decided to talk about something that happened maybe a year or so ago. We also thought it would be an interesting idea to change the way our diary entry would look, so we decided to write it in a circular form. After we finally knew what we were doing, we broke up two and two. Corbin and Sara G worked on the research proposal, Paige and I worked on the diary entry. During writing it, we also decided to change the content a little more by using made up words to try and confuse our audience. Corbin and Sara G thought this was a good idea. We did some of it in class and I said I would finish the rough draft myself and bring it to school tomorrow. Writing the rough draft, it was actually difficult to come up with made up words because I am so used to the words I already know. I thought this was a little funny. Also, while writing it I had to decide what words I would replace with the made up ones so I could still form sentences but at the same time confuse the reader. Tomorrow I'll discuss this with the rest of the group and hopefully we can buff out the rough edges and polish our research proposal in class.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that your group is playing with not only location, but language use--the crux of English 101 really. There are a few things that I am interested to learn more about: How did your group decide what else to change in the diary entries? Why decide on these specifically? How did you go about writing the rough draft? You say you struggled with language use, but how so? How did you know when to break the constraint--or even whether you went too far in doing so?

    ReplyDelete