Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Final Learning Blog


This class has been a challenge for me. Besides the getting up super early three times a week, (I don't know how I did it every day in high school) it has challenged me as a writer. When I took this English class I was less than thrilled. I thought there were going to be a lot of research papers and readings. This class made me think a lot deeper into writing, especially with our studies on genres. I never sat down and actually thought how set in stone the guidelines were for certain genres. That unit intrigued me the most. I didn't think genres applied to writing. I thought they were just for things like movies and music. I think the moment I opened my eyes a little wider to writing was when we were in the middle of that unit in class. I realized that there was a lot more to writing then just what I felt like doing. It also made me realize that I wasn't as good of a writer as I thought. Yeah, I can write a few little poems that rhyme and I can play with my words a little bit but that doesn't mean I'm a really good writer. I was challenged in this class to write different genres.. and that challenged my thinking towards myself. Not saying that this is a bad thing, because it will help me. In this class, I learned that writing truly is an art with a lot more effort put into it that I ever gave credit for. I thought writing was just something that people did for fun. Sure, I knew that writers had to deal with writer's block and whatnot but it didn't occur to me all the little things that go into writing, for any type of genre.
So I suppose my big "takeaway" from this English class would be that writing has a lot more to it then just the pen and the paper..

No comments:

Post a Comment